Saturday 18 May 2013

Kindness to Strangers, or a Stranger to Kindness?

Ephesians 4:32

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.


School this week way pretty normal. But, as the weather keeps getting warmer, school is the last place I want to be. Yesterday, I was on my way home when a girl I had never met held the door open for me. For a second, I was shocked! At my school, everyone is either in a rush or they don't realize that there are other people trying to go through the doors too. This was a rare sight. But her kindness didn't stop there. As I said thanks, and walked through the door, she then complimented me on what I was wearing. Me? I asked. I looked behind me to see if she was talking to someone else, but she was in fact talking to me.

I know they say it's better to give than to receive, but when I received an act of kindness from a stranger, I felt so happy. Not because I had a door open for me, or because someone liked what I was wearing, but it felt good to know that there are some really great people in my school. It's so much easier to be kind to the people you know well. But showing kindness to someone you don't know or even don't like, is a real challenge for me.

It made me think of a picture I liked so much, I saved it on my computer:

Do you show kindness to strangers, or are you a stranger to kindness?

No comments:

Post a Comment