Monday 27 May 2013

Ch-ch-changes!

I was watching this video from TwinSauce, and thought I'd write up a response.


Before something new is going to happen, I get really excited! I love trying new things. Once I'm actually going through changes, I'm full of regrets and I spend a lot of time thinking about how I shouldn't have made the change. Afterwords, I always look back on it and realize how that change has impacted my life for better and for worse. But mostly for the better! :)


I remember one summer when I was fourteen and my parents made me go to a junior high day camp. I had always gone to a smaller camp with less that forty campers, but this new one had more than one hundred. I was pretty excited to go (because what's more fun than a summer spent at camp?). On the first day, I realized that everyone had built groups of friends with years of history behind them. Then there was me. I had no idea who to talk to, or what to do and it was a confusing day. I wished I had stayed home. Eventually, I got to know everyone, and God helped me make some fantastic friends and memories I'll never forget! I think I would have regretted it more if I hadn't gotten through that first awkward day.

Now, there's only one month left of my final year in high school and I could not be more excited! Next September, I'll be flying across the ocean to attend Capernwray Hall, a bible school in England. This is going to be a HUGE change for me since I've never lived away from home for more than a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, living without my friends and family, traveling, and taking the time to learn more about God, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking what if I don't make friends, or what if I don't fit in and even what if God doesn't want me to go? I know it's going to be a fantastic experience for me, even if I have some tough times while I'm there.


When I was watching a documentary in class a while ago, there was one quote that stuck with me. Someone said "The only thing constant in life is change". Only afterwards, did I realize that the quote was wrong. In Hebrews 13:8 it says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever"Change takes courage. But it's comforting to know that no matter how much I change, or things change, or other people change, God's always going to be the same, and He's always going to be there for me every step of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Word! I also have a complicated relationship with change - I think I idealize it before it happens, sometimes I panic about it as it happens, and then after the change I look back on the past wistfully. A big exception to that has been having a baby - I thought it would be a really hard change, and it has actually been awesome.

    I am so excited for you and Capernwray! Even if you face challenges, I am sure God will use it for good in your life, and it will be a life experience you can always look back on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how everyone handles change differently, especially with little things and big things. Torre is probably the greatest change since Nimoy!:P And thanks for sharing my excitement for Capernwray!

      Delete